Saturday 5 July 2008

More on Maps: One I wish I'd come up with...

You come across some interesting things on the net from time to time, don't you? How's about this for a fantasy setting - The Map of Humanity:


I highly recommend you click on it and have a zoom around. Eurocentric, perhaps, but nevertheless an item of crazed genius. I don't quite know what to make of it other than that - other than to say I'm going to straight away put it in my file of "Setting ideas that are just too difficult to envisage pulling off, but which I take out from time to time and gaze at mutely."

(That file also included my abortive attempt to turn Borges' Celestial Emporium of Benevolent Recognition into a campaign setting - more on which I think I'll write at a later date.)

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could draw maps. I mean, I can, but it's this huge ordeal. I like having them, but I get frustrated easily, drawing them.

    That one looks very 17th century, Enlightenment era. Like "The Map of Tender," which explains in geographic form why women shouldn't fall in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I could happily sit and draw maps all day if I have the time.

    At the moment I'm experimenting with perspective maps - drawing a geographical area as if looking down at it from a high mountain or tall building - as opposed to the crow's-eye viewpoint. I quite like the sense of immersion you get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous . . . I should practice more, that's what I should do.

    Any plans to share these perspective maps? I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete